Memorial Day weekend, the unofficial signal of summer, will certainly not be overlooked this year. After being cooped up inside for what feels like an entire year during quarantine, families (and especially parents) are ready to roam free outside the house and connect with nature.
While stores and attractions begin to reopen, we have put together some of our favorite no-fuss excursion ideas for Memorial Day in Overland Park. With safety and distance in mind, you can partake whether you are comfortable venturing out for the whole weekend, or just a few hours.
Have A Picnic In The Park
- Grab breakfast sandwiches, lunch wraps, sandwiches or a dozen cupcookies from McLain’s Market and head to the Indian Creek Trails.
- Get your diner style burgers, fries, and shakes to-go from Snack Shack in Downtown Overland Park and eat at their picnic tables outside, or the nearby Clock Tower Plaza.
- Venture to the Overland Park Convention Center parking lot on Saturday for the walk-up and safely spaced out Farmers’ Market, then take your findings to Roe Park to enjoy in OP’s back yard.
Shop & Play
- Head to Prairiefire to shop for local goods at Made in KC and the best kids toys at Fat Brain Toys and then sit down at an appropriately distanced table at CocoBolos for their loud food, spicy music and famous margaritas.
- Revamp your post-quarantine wardrobe at Ensemble in Downtown Overland Park, find those cute and sassy must-haves at The General Store and then head to Brew Lab where you can now enjoy their great local brews and food in their dining room.
Now you can go off into the world and conquer your Memorial Day weekend, make the best travel decisions for your family, or just feel cooler because now you know more things.