Every year Kansas City Mag runs a poll to recognize the best of KC across 264 categories, from Best Barbecue Sandwich to Best Nail Salon. It’s a way of celebrating the things that make Kansas City great and recognizing exceptional local small businesses. Readers vote to determine the winner. Advertisers cannot purchase this recognition—they have to earn it. Here in Overland Park we are proud to have so many businesses earn their spot across the board. Check out the list below:
Overland Park Voted Best City in Johnson County:
Johnson County is the largest populated county in the state of Kansas. Overland Park is one of 17 towns or cities in JC and won the award for the best city in Johnson County.
Food & Drink Awards in KC: Overland Park Locations
- Coffee: Messenger Coffee Co. + Ibis Bakery – The Filling Station - a unique "hole-in-the-wall" what once was a garage is now an airy coffee shop serving delicious food and coffee with local favorites.
- Gelato: SPIN! Pizza - Authentic Neapolitan pizza experience with fresh ingredients in an energetic, contemporary atmosphere. Start with a fresh salad and house-made dressing, then finish with a scoop - or two - of creamy gelato.
- Gyro: Mr. Gyros Greek Food & Pastry - Be swept off your feet by mouth-watering fragrances from time-tested Greek recipes. The authentic flavors, laid back atmosphere and the best of Mediterranean dishes.
- Cinnamon Rolls: McLain’s Bakery - McLain's is an OP local favorite for coffee, breakfast, brunch and appetizers. It's so popular they are building another location in South Overland Park set to open in 2024.
- Chocolatier: Christopher Elbow Chocolates wins the chocolatier award in KC. Need a place to try these sweet treats, stop by these local spots in OP:
- Whole Foods
- Made in KC
- Lolli and Pops
- Cosentino’s Market
- Farmers Market: Overland Park Farmers’ Market - After earning the title of the Nation's #1 Farmers Market in 2022 to being reign its title of the best in KC in 2023. Experience community and culture in the heart of Downtown Overland Park where seasonal is a favorite food.
- Ribs & Burnt Ends: Fiorella’s Jack Stack BBQ - stop by and try award-winning barbecue recipes paired with a full-service bar and friendly atmosphere make for a perfect lunch or dinner. Have a large group? Reservations are suggested for parties of eight or more.
- Sandwich Shop: Jersey Mike’s Sub
- Korean: BIBIBOP Asian Grill - BIBIBOP is all about well being. We serve healthy, affordable Asian Food because we care.
- Pie: The Upper Crust - located in the heart of Downtown OP, the Upper Crust is a charming bakery serving up pies "as good as grandma's" with a mix of classic and seasonal favorites from large to miniature - cutie pies!
- Pub Food/SportsBar/Suburb Nightlife: The Peanut - with two locations in Overland Park, Peanut is always a place to be. Its a sports bar and grill known for its chicken wings and tasty pub fare favorites.
- Italian: Garozzos - is family owned and home of the famous Chicken Spiedini, Garozzo's offers gourmet Italian cuisine and a delectable wine list to complement. Might we suggest the Bistecca Modiga and Shrimp Spiedini Maggie Combo Side of Vodka Rigatoni?
- Taco & Food Pop Up: Taco Naco - What started as a taco stand at the Overland Park Farmers' Market is now a full market and taqueria in Downtown OP. Here you will be wowed with flavorful tacos, nachos, queso, salsas, and yes, churros.
- Breakfast: The Big Biscuit - A local favorite brunch spot with a neighborly atmosphere
- New Restaurant: Urban Egg - Gourmet pancakes. Eggs Benedict. Morning cocktails? Urban Egg features local, organic ingredients in an award-winning breakfast & lunch menu. This Denver-based chain is the must-try in Overland Park
- Thai: Lulu’s Thai Noodle Shop - located in the heart of Downtown OP - Kansas City's Favorite Thai Noodle Shop Featuring Family Recipes: All meals are crafted in the same way they were for the family table back in Bangkok.
- Hot Dogs: QuickTrip - Everyone's favorite gas station in Kansas City and Overland Park!
- Best Doughnuts: LaMar's - Described as the "ultimate indulgence," LaMar's donuts have built a reputation as the "better donut." These lightly fried goodies have a creamy texture inside leaving everyone coming back for more.
- Best Pizza: Minsky's - Kansas City's gourmet pizza shop serving up savory pizzas layered with generous portions of lean, succulent meats, tender vegetables, aromatic herbs and topped with rich, real mozzarella baked to bubbly perfection.
- Best Cooking Class For Adults: Culinary Center of Kansas City - What was once a buggy barn in the historic Downtown Overland Park is now a beautifully renovated culinary mecca with two state-of-the-art cooking studios in a homey environment. The Culinary Center of Kansas City hosts over 600 cooking classes each year.
- Steak House: J. Gilbert’s Wood-Fired Steaks & Seafood - Repeatedly named the Best Steakhouse in Kansas City, enjoy prime beef cooked over an open wood fire grill or choose from succulent seafood dishes.
Shopping Awards in KC: Overland Park Locations
- Eyeglass Shop: Brookside Optical
- Plant Store & Garden Supply/Nursery: Family Tree Nursery - This family owned garden center you will find a huge variety of plants, flowers, shrubs, and trees.
- Maker’s Market: Made in KC - With two locations in Overland Park, Made in KC provides local Kansas City artists and makers a platform to reach customers in Overland Park. Made in KC curates its product from hundreds of submissions and works to support brands through partnerships, relationships, and resources.
- Women’s Boutique: Amelia’s Boutique - A local favorite boutique for girls of all ages - Amelia's translates today's trends to fit your personal style.
- Jewelry Store: Tivol - Tivol jewelers has been a staple in the Kansas City metropolitan area for more than 100 years. Originally opened in 1910 in downtown Kansas City, the shop now has two locations, one in the prestigious Hawthorne Plaza in Overland Park.
- Local Sports Store/Outfitter: Scheels - Check out the largest selection of sports, sportswear and footwear - under one roof - in the state of Kansas! SCHEELS’ is a mega sports store in Overland Park’s Corbin Park
- Bike Shop: Erik’s Bike Shop - Overland Park's local bike shop! ERIK'S has a huge selection of all types of bicycles including electric bikes. Need your bike fixed? We repair all bike brands too! Swing in anytime – we are the bike shop for you!
- Pilates Studio: Pure Barre - Pure Barre is a full-body workout that transforms you physically and mentally. Our musically driven group classes focus on low-impact, high-intensity movements that strengthen and tone your body in 50 minutes or less.
Best Local Pet Shop in KC: Overland Park Locations
- Local Pet Shop/Dog Treats: Three Dog Bakery - located in BluHawk of OP, a one-stop shop of treats that can only be found in bakeries. They’re fresh-baked on-site by real pastry chefs who use simple, healthy, and wholesome ingredients for dogs. Seasonal treats, gourmet dog pastries, including their famous Pupcakes®, and one-of-a-kind canine cakes you can have personalized for your pup’s special occasion.
Beauty in KC Award: Overland Park Locations
- Nail Salon: Luxe Nail Spa - located in the heart of Downtown OP, Luxe strives to create a culture of clean ethics and methodologies. Beauty is our passion, therefore we pride ourselves in providing superior services through a team of experienced professionals with only the best products.
Best Apartments in KC Award: Overland Park Locations
- Best Apartment Complex: Deer Creek Apartments - located in Central Overland Park is close to many attractions, restaurants and retail in Overland Park
Health & Wellness in KC Award: Overland Park Locations
- Massage Therapist: Katie Brock, Haven Wellness + Spa
- Naturopath: Grace Charles, Kansas City Integrative Health
Nightlife Awards in KC: Overland Park Locations
- Locally Owned Kansas Brewery: Martin City Brewing Company - Martin City Brewing Co. Pizza & Taproom's Mission Farms location is a great neighborhood hangout. With 16 taps of craft beer all brewed by Martin City Brewing Co. there is sure to be a brew that you will like. Add that to their stone-fired specialty pizzas and you will leave a happy customer.
- Liquor Store: Lukas Wine & Spirits Superstore
Culture & City Awards in KC: Overland Park Locations
- Public Park: Deanna Rose Children’s Farmstead - Travel back in time and experience life on a turn-of-the-century Kansas farm. Established in 1978, Deanna Rose Children’s Farmstead is now home to nearly 250 animals (including livestock and birds of prey), vegetable and flower gardens, a fishing pond and more!