All Ability Activities. No, these AAA’s do not stand to jump start or insure your car, but they do stand to jump start your trip to Overland Park and ensure fun and adventure for people of all abilities. Limits are less at these places that have made simple accommodations for maximum inclusion on your trip to KC|OP.
iFly Indoor Skydiving:
Indoor skydiving mecca, iFly hosts All Abilities Nights which are custom designed for those with physical and cognitive challenges. Soar to new heights in an environment of support and inclusion. The program includes:
- A pre-flight training session and all necessary flight gear
- Assistance from specially trained flight instructors with extra attention and accommodations based on participant needs
- Two flights per participant
Playgrounds around the area have become a hub for kids of all abilities to play together regardless of their personal social or physical barriers. From smooth surfaces to ramps, adaptive swings and even companion zip lines, every child – and adult - feels welcome and can participate at these mindfully designed play areas.
Shawnee Mission Park & Stilwell Community Park
- Features include access ramps, adaptive swings, a sensory area, smooth surfaces, and toddler multi-play area.
Leawood City Park
- Features include a spongey-smooth ground surface to accommodate mobility devices and unstable walkers, double zip lines, high back swings, and access ramps.
Jewish Community Center Playground
- Features include smooth surfaces and low platforms as transfer stations so those using wheelchairs can lift themselves onto playground equipment, braille panels and other play panels with interesting textures.
- The first of its kind at any zoo in the U.S., features include a zip line that has a companion harness for parents, access ramps, smooth ground surfaces, and a special “elephant swing.”
Knock your trip out of the park with a visit to a Kansas City Royals baseball game. Kauffman stadium is equipped with adaptive gear and spaces to make a visit friendly for anyone. We can’t promise a win for your team, but we can promise a winning trip to the ballpark. Accommodations include:
- Wheelchair services and accessible seating
- Assistive listening devices, noise reducing headphones and quiet zones
- Family restrooms
Find their full guide to accommodations here.
Museum at Prairiefire:
From the NASA developed glass that makes up its beautiful exterior to its travelling exhibits from national institutions, and dinosaur bones, the Museum at Prairiefire is a must-see for your KC|OP trip. Best of all, they are happy to accommodate special needs for all types of visitors. Accommodations include:
- Wheelchair accessibility
- Lights and sounds adjusted to meet needs upon request
- Discovery Room features a quiet zone
Rest assured, when visiting Overland Park at these great attractions you’ll be able to focus less on obstacles and more on making memories.