There are the three famous topics that we are all told not to discuss in public: Money, Religion, and Politics.Well, here in KC | OP, we believe barbecue (BBQ, Bar-B-Que, spell it how you want) should be added to this list. Why? Because a favorite barbecue spot is just as divisive as the three others here. Relationships have ENDED over debates about the best barbecue in KC | OP. Alright, I personally don’t know of any, but I’m sure it has happened at some point.
Without further ado, I am going to try to get through the contenders for top barbecue joint in KC | OP without drooling too much on my keyboard. However, I make no promises.
If you eat your way through this list of barbecue restaurants on your next trip to KC | OP, I promise you will leave a very, VERY, happy person.
- Q39 – This relative newcomer to the barbecue scene has made a big splash. What once started as a competitive barbecue team transformed into a rustic, yet urban restaurant, which is now one of the hottest restaurants in KC | OP. We suggest ordering the Judge’s Plate to taste a wide variety of their smoked meats.
- Jack Stack – Since 1957, Jack Stack has been a tried-and-true KC | OP staple. If you want an upscale dining barbecue experience, look no further than Jack Stack. From start to finish, you can’t go wrong here… unless you don’t order the cheesy corn. Please, order the cheesy corn.
- Brobeck’s – I selfishly hate adding Brobeck’s to the list, because they do a good job of flying under the radar on the KC | OP barbecue scene. However, everyone deserves great barbecue too. A few things that you should expect when you come here: seeing everyone ordering ham salad as a side (for good reason), great barbecue with a small town feel, and dry rubbed meat served without sauce (you can add that yourself if that’s your thing.)
- Joe’s KC – Maybe one of the most well-known barbecue restaurants in KC | OP, you have probably seen them on numerous national lists for best places to eat. We can’t disagree here. While Joe’s does lots of things well, the Z-Man may be their most popular item. This sandwich features smoked brisket, provolone cheese, topped with onion rings and sauce. If you aren’t a brisket fan, swap it out for chicken or Portobello mushrooms.
- Burnt End – Well, I was going to start by telling you about the signature item here, but the name kind of stole my thunder. If you are feeling extra feisty, try out the Burnt End Bowl. This mouthwatering dish features their burnt ends, beans, cornbread, all of which are topped with onion straws. Make sure you bring your appetite.
And The Winner Is
Choosing the best barbecue restaurant in KC | OP isn’t an easy task. It’s like asking a parent to choose their favorite child, which can all depend on the day and what mood they are in. If having five favorite barbecue spots in KC | OP is wrong, then I don’t want to be right.
Do you plan on making it through the list of contenders? Leave us a comment on Facebook and let us know your favorite.
Continue Reading The Best of OP Blog Series